Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jamaica = Happy Serb II

I think B's red former Yugoslavian t-shirt with a Communist logo which read, "srp icekic" really attracted the attention of our Jamaican hotel staff because for the remainder of our stay we were given great treatment and offered low activity prices.  They also requested his cuban fedora and paper boy cap in exchange for a Katamaran cruise or scuba diving.  It was great for me, I sat back and watched B perform his bargaining magic, saving me from purchasing over-priced wares because I was lingering a bit too long by vendor huts.

 At that point it became easier for B to bargain a decent price for our activities and souvenirs and it became entertaining for me to watch the consistent debate in action.  My favorite instance to witness occurred when B was approached by a cigar vendor on the outskirts of our hotel beach.  This Jamaican/Cuban was thoroughly impressed by G's bargaining strength as they offered him Cuban's for an excessive price and he bargained them down more than 50%.  This vendor instantly approached him with respect and struck up a conversation regarding their close ties with Cubans.  He told us about his Russian neighbor that use to live in Cuba but retreated to Jamaica for a relaxed lifestyle.  He explained to us how Cuban cigars and alcohol are smuggled across the border and sold in Jamaica tax free.  As a boat repairman, he worked closely with some Russians in Cuba building and repairing boat engines long enough that he fashioned his own for Jamaica.  He and B had a quick and long lasting friendship and I have a feeling when we do return to Jamaica, he will be one of the first guys we reunite with.

Well, luckily, we left Jamaica with B's Cuban fedora and Red Star jersey, but it has been requested upon our return that we bring back NY goods to exchange for great service :)

I genuinely like Jamaica and so does B.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that Jamaica, Cuba and Serbia get along very well and I know many Serbs who would retire in Jamaica in a heartbeat. If I'm going to be poor, I much rather be poor in Jamaica then here in Belgrade, plus the weed sucks here in Belgrade.

    ReplyDelete